Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Quilts

This past year I made two twin size quilts that I want to show in particular.  Both were the fun and scrappy design of "Yellow Brick Road" and both have gone to Sofia, Bulgaria.  The first is for Gabriel for his fourth birthday.  The top of the quilt contains fabric not only from other quilts of his but a number of his pillowcases and other fun fabrics.  Most quilters have a 'thing' that they do with each quilt.  Mine is that I like to put fabric from another previous quilt into the new one I work on.
 The backing is a Map Of The World design and because I so fell in love with it I decided to overlook the fact that the fabric is rather heavy weight.  It's a very warm quilt which will serve well this last winter in Bulgaria.
 This is the second Yellow Brick Road, also twin size, that went to live with it's owner Roza in Switzerland via her grandmother, or 'Mimi', Mariana in Bulgaria.

This is also one of my early adventures into a pieced backing, which also contains the label.  And I was very happy with the results.  Much more interesting and attractive than just a seam down the back. And looks good whether centered or off center.
It was important to me to label this one and in, Cyrillic writing, the label says;
To Roza with love from Mimi
Made by Gayle, quilted by Tomi
In Ontario, California, USA
June 2012

С РОЗА С любов от МИМИ
Направено от Гейл, ватирана ОТ Томи
В Онтарио, Калифорния, САЩ
ЮНИ 2012 г.


Roza and her quilt;


Mariana works with Jason at the Peace Corps office in Sofia.  She was my first contracted quilt and I was honored to be asked to make this for her granddaughter.  When I visited Sofia in Sept (Next Post!) I spent a  wonderful afternoon lunch with Mariana discussing quilts, our children and grandchildren, and the destiny of finding a quilter for her granddaughter. 


No comments:

Post a Comment