Friday, May 21, 2010

Quilt Blogger Festival Entry

"Nick's Jam"
I began quilting about three years ago and fulfilled a lifelong goal to learn to make quilts. Growing up my maternal grandmother made wonderful scrap quilts for the family and they were like old friends,and I had always wanted to learn to make these wonderful keepsakes myself.

For my grandson Nick's 16th birthday, and his sister Stevi's 13th, I made them each a lap size quilt. They both loved them, but Nick LOVED his. I promised him a queen size for his bed for his 18th birthday. But I wanted his contribution to the project in choice of theme, colors and fabrics. One weekend we shopped together online and I ordered all of the fabrics to make his quilt. I chose the BQ quilt pattern from Maple Island Quilts and constructed the quilt top in 12 inch blocks. The narrow black framing border is a tone on tone print of sheet music.

Close up of a block, this guitar print is my favorite fabric of all that are on this quilt.
This was also my first double sided quilt. I just couldn't find backing that would do the quilt justice and since I bought all the fabrics online I had purchased extra. The back is a Turning Twenty style block in 18 inches.

The quilt stitching is by Tomi Guapo (http://www.sunkissedquilts.com/) and she used a very dark red thread in a pattern of music notes.
Tomi's special touch of embroidery, at my request. For his high school graduation and birthday Nick received a new Les Paul guitar.
My grandson Nick, and his Les Paul.
I've made some quilts that I have been very proud of and I'm happy that when given as gifts they are received in the spirit intended. Thanks to the creative input of a talented young man Nick's quilt is, to date, my masterpiece.




12 comments:

  1. Gorgeous quilt...great story...cute grandson!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilt is beautiful! I know your artistic grandson got it and will always love his special piece of art from his grandmother. I can see where he gets that creative gene.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reminds me of my son and his Les Paul! Great quilt, love the fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great quilt and great story to go with it! Thanks for sharing..
    Beth in Dallas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boys and their guitars - its a great combination!
    Love the quilt and the story. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing quilt. Wonderful fabrics and color. Awesome!

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful story. It is so lovely that you had input picking the fabrics. Its excellent that you consider it your masterpiece. I can see your smile when I read that statement. It makes me smile too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. it is wonderful. love the guitar fabric, but my favorite is the rainbowy piano keys. nice the quilting is notes--a nice touch. great story

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rock on! Great very personalized quilt.
    Come see my antique quilt entries
    http://utahquiltappraiser.blogpost.com
    http://starleyquilts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quilt is beautiful! I also wanted to let you know that I have a wired hair dachshund that could be a brother to your cute little dog. He has the same type face and coloring and we love him to bits.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Kelley O

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a spectacular theme quilt! The two of you did such a fantastic job choosing perfect fabrics. And you put them together in a quilt that is simply stunning.

    ReplyDelete