Last Saturday Mike, Kiera, and I joined family and friends to celebrate my grandson's high school graduation. Grandson? Yes, well, as Kiera says "it's complicated". Here is an example. Fran, the oldest daughter from my former life, married to Tim. As a couple there is a bit of an age gap between these two, but it is chronological and not spiritual. However, it does provide me with the father of my grandkids who is only four months younger than I am. Hang on, it gets sillier. Tim has been the principal at Chaffey High School here in Ontario. I say has been because he as just accepted an amazing promotion as an assistant superintendent at the high school district level. Chaffey is the high school that Kiera's middle school feeds into. Chaffey has also been the location for Hawthorne Elementary's 50th Anniversary program and her promotion program. While walking over to the high school for the dress rehearsal Kiera was telling her friends that we are "family" of Mr. Ward. We have been to their house, we see them at Christmas, etc. When questioned how we are family Kiera had a bit of a problem trying to properly explain and finally said"it's complicated". For his part Tim refers to me as "my kid's grandma". For my part I like to joke and refer to Nick and his sister Stevi as my "old" grandkids.
All that said, I have no idea how the eighteen years between holding Nick in the hospital and these pictures flew by in the blink of an eye. And gave me pause to think of the future when I reflect in the same way on the lives to that point of Jenna, Naia, Allyson and Gabriel.
Nick and his graduation gift, a Les Paul. The genetics for musical ability are quite strong in his family and Nick has absorbed a good quantity of them.

The entire family gets together as Tim takes lead for Knocking on Heaven's Door. Left to right, Tim's daughter Serena, Fran, Nick, bandmember and friend playing bass in the background, Tim, with Stevi and Tim's oldest Sarah finishing up the "Nickettes" for background vocals.

A shot of Tim and Nick, Stevi and Sarah (that you can actually see Sarah)

More Nick.

A really terrible picture of Deja clowning for the camera. But I mean really,,,Deja at 18! Next to her is Ciera, Bobbi's second daughter.

Marty, who looks just like he always has. And Erica with her little sister Valencia. Stevi in the background.

I apologize for the mediocre photos, but I think Mike has more on his camera and I'll get to them. And for those of you not familiar with my former life I have four adult stepchildren; Fran, Kim, Bobbi and Marty. We have stayed especially close to Fran and Tim, their son Nick and daughter Stevi. They live nearby in Upland. We also keep in touch with Bobbi and her family, although since they live in Bakersfield we don't see them as much. I had not seen Deja in almost seven years and I have to tell you that was a moment I will cherish. Oddly, due to the calendar dates of their birthdays in January, June and October, Deja, Nick and Erica all graduated from high school this year. It was awesome to see everyone all at the same time again and for Mike and Kiera to be able to see and hear the family play music and especially to hear Fran sing when she did the Sheryl Crow song Crash and Burn, and backup vocals for several other numbers.
The next day when we were talking about what a good time we had Kiera said she had fun and that they all made her feel "like one of the cousins".
No comments:
Post a Comment