Sunday, December 13, 2009

Nick's Quilt

Nick turned 18 this past June. Two years ago for his 16th birthday, and Stevi's 13th in July of the same year, I gave them each a smaller sized quilt. At the time I thought that if for no other reason they would like the quilts because they came from their Nana Gayle. They loved the quilts. Nick is especially attached to his, so much so that I told him for this 18th birthday I would make him a bed sized quilt. One day last spring Nick and I got on the phone, and both went online to browse and choose and order the fabric for his quilt. It was to be music themed and duplicate the bold colors of his first quilt. The red in this quilt matches the border of the smaller one.

I used a twelve inch block of a design that I am particularly fond of since the finished product appears much more complicated than it really is. It is also a design that shows off the variety of prints and colors we picked very well.

The full finished quilt.

A close up of a block.

Nick's quilt was my first ever two sided creation. Since I ordered all of the fabrics online I purchased extra, knowing there might not be any opportunity to get more if I ran short on anything. This gave me enough to do a larger, much more simple, quilt design for the backing.

This year for Nick's birthday and graduation he received a new Les Paul guitar. Les Paul died this year and I discovered a quote from one of the last interviews he gave and when Tomi did her work on the stitching I had her include this on the back. I apologize for the orientation, nothing I did would upload this correctly.

Nick and his Les Paul.

While visiting Modesto I took the quilt along to finish the hand stitching of the binding. This is the final step to any quilt and where I believe the karma of the quilt gets added. Jenna was interested in lending a hand and as a result the binding of Nick's quilt contains some very special stitching. (that is removable if he likes)

No comments:

Post a Comment